Saturday, January 10, 2009

Caseus in New Haven


While we really try to focus on Waterbury and the surrounding towns in this blog, every once in a while something must be said about our travels outside Waterbury, and this was definitely one of them.

CASEUS, from the Latin word for 'cheese', IS A CHEESE RESTAURANT. EVERYTHING ON THEIR MENU IS BASED AROUND ARTISAN CHEESES.

I'm not sure what else I can say to make you go, except that Scott and I LOVED it. Here's a link to their delicious menu. We went during restaurant week, so we had a slightly different menu, but we got to sample their poutine, which for the non-French among us is essentially French fries smothered in cheese curds and gravy. It's very popular in Canada. Delicious! My appetizer was some sort of breaded goat cheese salad, which was to die for, but doesn't seem to be on their dinner menu. For the meal, Scott went with the Mac&Cheese, and I can't say I blame him. I was digging in his plate in between bites of my own. It's really the way macaroni and cheese should taste. I had the Moules Frites, which were mussels in a white wine and garlic sauce served with fries for sopping up the juices. Not cheesy, but perfect. For dessert, we had chocolate pots de creme, which we really couldn't eat because we were so full. Add to that wonderful wine and an amazing atmosphere, and Caseus has become one of our new favorite New Haven dinner destinations. We can't wait to go back and try the "cheese board."

93 WHITNEY AVENUE
NEW HAVEN, CT 06510
Reservations: (203) 624-3373
(Note that the number spells out 203-6CH-EESE. Awesome.)
http://www.caseusnewhaven.com/

No comments: