Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Healthy Chinese Food in Waterbury?

Zheng Zheng Chinese Food
1457 Meriden Road
Wolcott, CT 06716
(okay so it's just over the Waterbury line)
(203) 879-0021
www.zhengzheng.com

I've never had strong feelings about Americanized Chinese take-out, in fact, I generally try to avoid it at all costs. Every time I partake, I feel completely disgusting. Chinese take-out is, for the record, pretty disgusting, and if you don't believe me, take a look at that egg drop soup after it's sat in your fridge for a while and become nice and congealed. Mmmmm.....

But every once in a while, things (like final exams) happen, and you need to get take-out from somewhere. Chinese food was usually not my first choice, until now. Zheng Zheng Chinese take-out on Meriden Road has developed a new "Special Health and Diet Menu," which features steamed versions of a few take-out classics, like steamed Chicken, Shrimp, or Tofu with Broccoli, Buddhist Delight, and Long Life Vegetarian. The steamed Chicken and Broccoli is literally just that, pieces of broccoli and chicken steamed in just water. I imagine the other dishes are the same. It tastes pretty plain (but good, nice texture), but what do you expect? They will give you a side of brown or garlic sauce if you want, and at least having the sauce on the side lets you control how much fat you are eating. But without sauce, you could eat a whole container of steamed Chicken and Broccoli and feel awesome about yourself! Trust me, I'm 1/4 doctor. ;)

Even though Zheng Zheng is my favorite Chinese take-out place (Golden Palace wins for my favorite Chinese restaurant), I'm not going to review it here. I just wanted to give all you healthy eaters out there a heads up about a place to grab a quick and healthy bite that won't leave you feeling guilty or bloated.

Oh and one more thing, if you spend more than $20, Zheng Zheng will throw in some delicious fried shrimp, which may defeat the whole point of their "Special Health and Diet Menu," but we aren't really complaining.

No comments: